Sunday, March 21, 2010

Slider's Log / Sunday, March 21st 2010

There has been a ton in the news about the insurance payout to the Kumaritashvili family from VANOC.  They said it was, "A respectful and appropriate sum."  I'm not sure what that really means but, all I know is that I don't care how much it is.  I am still very much committed to keeping his memory alive in a positive way and helping theKumaritashvili family in any way I can.  Racing for them seemed like a no-brainer.  The loss of Nodar really hit home when my friend, former Luge athlete and retired NASA Shuttle Commander, Scott Parazynski said in his blog,"I’m devastated by the loss of an athlete I’ve never met."   I felt exactly the same way.   I know we all did.  But, I am the type of person that has had a very near to death experience and I understand on a visceral level that you NEVER know what could happen and that we make very clear choices about how we choose to live our lives.  If I am able to do something then I cannot let it go by and not do it.  You know what, I'm not even sure if I am able - but I am sure as heck going to give it my best.  Because that is what life is about.

Preparing for my trip to Lake Placid has been very busy.  When I was a full time athlete I could completely focus on the upcoming races and events.  This time around it is a much different story.  I have a thriving and very busy  5 year old to run after, a business that has just recently expanded that demands all the rest of my energy and family commitments that need attention, too.  I could never have done these things and competed internationally at the same time.  I guess that is why I waited until afterward to start a family.  I know some folks can and do handle all of these things at the same time but, it is very challenging for me personally.

Today I spent time working on my helmet.  Upon closer inspection it was falling apart on the inside.  A crumbling foam mess.  Every time I touched it it would shed more foam dust - yuck.  The important part (the part that really protects your head, was fine).  Just the cushioning was falling apart.  Buy a new one, you might say.  Can't.  These are very special helmets made by Uvex.  There is no "Luge Store".  Nothing online.  Everything is a special order.  So, I pulled the foam out in a big dusty mess and spent the day going from Micheal's to Price Chopper to Lowe's with my little guy in tow to compile the items in need to fix it and for some things I'll need for the race.  I made due with the things I found, my helmet is reasonably comfortable now and safe.  Then, I spent as long as possible re-taping it for SPEED.  It's kind of a stress reducer.  Luge folks are expert at taping up any possible aerodynamic defect.  Once the taping is done then it is really ready for anything.  As am I, I hope.









(my little guy at the 2009 Luge World Championships 
in Lake Placid ringing his cow bell for the US team:)

No comments:

Post a Comment